Science and Innovation Committee
The activities of this Committee are divided according to the six priority areas defined in the STISA 2024 as follows:
Eradicate hunger and ensure food and nutrition security
- Research on technologies/practices to improve food production (indigenous tech).
- Research on tools and methods that can assist in developing and preserving plant varieties, seed varieties and availability.
- Research to improve soil quality, soil preservation and soil protection.
- Research on technologies to minimize post-harvest loss and to improve food preservation.
- Research to improve and enhance nutrient fortification and food nutrition (food quality)
- Research to improve Livestock productivity.
- Research on impact of pesticides (quality, practices) on soils, environment, quality of food and health.
- Research on the nexus and the interlinkages between food, energy, water and climate to address the SDGs.
- Research and development of tailored Agro-climate information services to reduce the vulnerability of farmers and the agricultural sector to climate changes and also, for informed efficient decision making process.
Prevent and control diseases and ensure well-being
- Research on technologies to improve water sanitation and preservation (encourage adapting the best available technology to the African context).
- Research on the application of telemedicine (eHealth) in medical diagnosis.
- Research on methods to combat common diseases (and other “neglected” diseases) like malaria, asthma, typhoid…
- Research on methods of integrating traditional medicine with orthodox or modern medicine.
- Research on enhancing traditional medicine methods (quality, metrics, efficiency, toxicity…)
- Research on improving access to affordable or generic drugs.
- Research on mechanisms to control proliferation of counterfeit drugs.
- Research on methods to improve health literacy and education.
Communication (physical and intellectual mobility)
- Research on methods of reducing costs of land miles.
- Research on methods of allocating sufficient/efficient ICT resources.
- Research on methodologies of improving linkages across borders seaports and airports.
- Research on application and use of emerging technologies (Digitalization, artificial intelligence, bigdata…) to improve access to data and information.
Protect our space (including climate change)
- Research on innovative methods of improving water treatment and water recycling.
- Research on innovative methods to improve waste management and waste recycling (plastic waste, electronic waste, etc).
- Research on innovative methods of combating climate and environmental related diseases (ecological diseases).
- Research on innovative ways to reduce migration due to adverse environmental change.
- Research on methods to improve the earth observation systems, to assess natural and environmental risks and disasters and to develop early warning systems
- Research on methods of improving mining resource preservation and value addition of mining technology (beneficiation) in line with the African Mining Vision.
- Research on innovative methods to improve water resource management and allocation.
- Research on innovative methods of improving water/rainfall harvest and artificial recharge in a context where rainfall is going to increase in the future in several areas.
- Research on innovative methods of developing sustainable renewable energy systems (solar, hydro, bio, wind…).
- Research on innovative actions to create jobs for youth (avoid migration and keeping/preserving skills) and women.
- Research on innovative methods to envelop skills acquisition tools for employability.
Cross cutting research areas
- Research on fundamental science to underpin the applied and innovative research methodologies listed above..
- Implement Data Center to address big-data issue and computational high performance infrastructure (HPC).
- Support e-Network in all regions (Ubuntu, WACREN etc.., AFRICACONNECT) and at national levels (NREN).
- Promoting Open Data and Open science.
- Innovative research methods that lead to leapfrog development pathway.
- Support the development of large research infrastructure and excellence specialized centers that can welcome scientists of Africa and from the diaspora to perform research addressing the African priorities.
- Support initiatives of Pan African University on eLearning for mass education.